Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Open Source: Libre Office

I have wanted to use a large number of commercial products such as Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop, Sony Vegas, and Microsoft Office. You are probably thinking to yourself, how is this relevant to me? In our current generation, a majority of students do not have the money to pay for commercial products such as the ones I have previously mentioned. Right now, open source products are the way of the future. One key point that make open source products better is that they are frequently updated just like any other product. The best point about them is that they are free which is within the budget of everyone, including you!


Today, I wanted to talk about one specific open source product, LibeOffice.

Microsoft Office is one of their key competitors in the market. The cost of Microsoft Office is at least $100, which sounds like a lot of money to some people.  As you try to get a better version of Microsoft Office, the product is more expensive. On the other hand, LibreOffice is completely free. I would suggest for you to use LibreOffice instead of trying to go out and buy commercial products such as Microsoft Office because it provides the same features such as Text Documents, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Drawings, Database and Formulas.

You might be worried and wondering, what about compatibility between operating systems? LibreOffice is completely compatible to Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux systems. I personally think it is a great product and it saves me a lot of money instead of buying a new version of Microsoft Office. Hopefully you will have gained some interest in it and will try it out yourself!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice introduction to a specific free application for those who never knew. I'm very glad to see this trend of free software booming. As a student myself, I try not to spend money on anything unnecessary including software. I've used a lot of free applications and their qualities are improving rapidly, so I plan to use them rather than paid versions. The only problems with free software I had before is when instructors require very specific tasks and the free software does not perfectly mimic the paid version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Justin,
    nice blog on open source Libre Office. I didn't knew about it and i am glad i read your blog on this as it is very useful for students like us. Instead of paying expensive prices to use softwares, if we can get the same service for free, what else do we want. i am definitely gonna try to play around and use the libre office soon and see what kinda services it provides. thanks for sharing information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin,
    Thanks for your post. You introduced a very nice open source product to us. I didn't know it before. I just use Microsoft Word. As you said, it has a lot of limits. If I want to use more professional functions, I need pay for it. That drives me crazy and I decide to try Libre Office now.

    Besides, I like your blog very much. It has nice pictures and is so clear and simple. In my eyes, simple is beautiful.

    Thanks again for your sharing, and I am looking forward to reading more your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Justin, I completely agree, open source alternatives help students like us save a lot of many, especially as the amount of free software accumulates. As a coder, open source projects also offer you the ability to add in your own features that you may want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Justin, I would like to thank you for this post. I have been looking for an alternative to open office for a while now and I think I have found it. I have seen it installed on my Linux partition for a while but never used it because I rarely use my laptop to type anything substantial. I do agree that open source software can help save students a lot of money. It is very important since we pay so much for school already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Justin,

    Nice work. I’ve heard of LibreOffice before, but never downloaded it, as I’ve always had office on my computers. Recently, though, I got a new Windows 8 machine that didn’t come with office, and I’ve been debating the purchase ever since. I will definitely give LibreOffice a try before I make my decision. The cross-compatibility sounds awesome.

    Thanks for the informative post!

    (Just letting you know, the link in your LinkedIn post is broken)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Justin!

    I really enjoyed reading your post because I absolutely love LibreOffice and it’s one of my favorite open source software. I absolute agree with you that open source products are the way of the future and I can’t wait. Almost everything I currently use is open source and I don’t even want to imagine how much all of it would have cost me if I had to pay.

    Overall, I thought your post was very informative and organized. Great post and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Justin,
    I have to say I learn a lot from your blog. I never heard of LibreOffice before, and after reading your blog, I decide to download one for my window8. I have suffered a lot to deal with Microsoft Office. It is apparently too expensive for a student like me. Your blog provide a good choice for poor student.
    Thanks for sharing. It is one of the best blogs I have read before.

    ReplyDelete