Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

Creating a Game - Moving Forward [Alpha]

 
Moving Forward is a collaboration between my partner Sandy and myself. My roles for Moving Forward were programmer and designer.

As a programmer, learning how to use Game Maker was tedious. There were options for drag and drop, but there were options for writing small scripts. I had the opportunity to do both, but it was difficult to tell where bugs where besides trial and error.

As a designer, I decided to do the following for the alpha version of the game:
Player
  • ESDF to move
    • S to move left
    • F to move right 
    • E as temporary fix for wall glitch
    • D to move down while in air
  • Space to jump
  • Left click 
  • Has three lives
  • Has 10 ammo
  • Player goes back to start after in contact with robot or robot bullet
Robot
  • is worth 10, 20 or 30 points
  • can drop lives and/or ammo
  • randomly shoots left and right
Ammo Drops
  • +5 ammo
Life Drops
  • +1 life
Game
  • Start with score 0
  • Game ends when
    • player loses all lives
    • player destroys all robots
  • Prompt to play again when game ends
    • Yes -> game starts over
    • No -> game closes 
  • Current maximum score = 270 points because 7 enemies * 30 maximum points possible per robot
My question for players is what additions would you think should be added to the game? Should there be a double jump? Is the way ammo is given to a player sufficient?

While going through the process of improving the game, I always was trying to figure out where were the bugs in the game. Due to the lack of time, I found it difficult to debug under a program I was not familiar with. I was able to figure out camera focusing on a player in a large room, collisions (most of it) and keeping track of lives, score and ammo.

If you want to try out the game yourself, you can get it here: Download Link

No comments:

Post a Comment