Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

LinkedIn and Branding: LinkedIn for College Students

For those who do not know what is LinkedIn, it is a social network for the professional world. This social network has been around for about a decade and currently there are over 200 million users. Some of the basic features of LinkedIn include posting education, experiences, endorsements from co-workers and skills.

So LinkedIn is a professional social network. Sounds scary to students right? The reality though is that it isn't scary at all and is a great resource for college students to use. The main reason why it is a great resource to use before jumping into the job field is so that there can be some background built already with some other people on LinkedIn to support the set of skills one student has and their prior experienced.

Where to start is an important question. It is easy to start with connecting with friends in this professional environment to break the ice. From there, connecting to coworkers at jobs on-campus, side jobs off-campus or internships help with building the network of connections.

Based on my experience with LinkedIn so far, I believe it is a great resource. I have been able to see many different views within the tech industry because I was able to connect with executives at CBS Interactive after I completed my internships there. I also got to have a better look within the industry as a whole because there are so many posts and articles all over LinkedIn that gives people such as myself more insight on an area I do not know much about.

I hope this might help students think about starting now to get a LinkedIn!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Justin,
    You wrote a great post about LinkedIn and Branding. First, your title for this post is very good because it explains what you are writing in your post. I also like the image that you use in your post because it explains how LinkedIn can be useful to network with others. Your blog post is best suited for the college students who are trying to join the LinkedIn, and explore some of the interesting features that LinkedIn provides. One suggestion that I would like to make for your future posts is include few more images or charts because images and charts help visual learners like me to follow the readings. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post. Good luck for the future posts and I will be looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin,

    Nice post.

    I enjoyed reading about your experience with LinkedIn as I have not had that much experience with LinkedIn yet.

    And so I hope that as we continue on in our course at SJSU that our LinkedIn account's get better so that we can get in contact with companies to get internships to practice our Computer Science skills. And then get a job to do create a productive program for the world to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice reading your post, dude. I heard a lot about Linked In when I was in college, but never thought about creating a Linked In account. Seriously, I didn't know what Linked In is used for. I thought it's just another place for you and your friends to hang out and chit chat, but maybe in a more professional way :) After hearing that my friends got some job offers from Linked In, I was like "what? really?". I started to create an account and have been updating my profile. Linked In really is the best way to sell yourself to the industry nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Justin, your whole blog is so amazing and your post is informative to read. Also, you explained clearly the purpose and use for LinkedIn well, and you had good image selection. As a undergraduate student at SJSU, I never use this before. After reading your post, I did use it and connect to other people easily. However, LinkedIn is a useful websites.

    ReplyDelete